Numeracy in focus. Building VET practitioner awareness of numeracy in the workplace
Numeracy in focus is a professional development resource to support raising of workplace numeracy awareness of Vocational Education and Training (VET) practitioners consistent with the requirements of the Vocational Graduate Certificate in Adult Language, Literacy and Numeracy Practice.
It is designed to be used by VET practitioners who are responsible for supporting adults to develop their numeracy skills for the workplace.
The roles and responsibilities of individuals involved in workplace numeracy assessment and delivery vary and may include vocational specialists, language and literacy specialists, numeracy specialists and employers. Users need to adapt the resource to their own job role and work context.
Numeracy is an important core skill. All VET practitioners must be up to date and confident in their own numeracy skills, their numeracy training skills and their understanding of typical workplace numeracy activities.
This resource is designed to meet the professional development needs of VET practitioners who:
- Have basic numeracy skills but need to update in respect to changing technology and numeracy practices
- Have basic numeracy skills but need to contextualise to the world of work
- Have numeracy skills but need to increase their numeracy confidence
- Are reluctant to assess and teach numeracy skills in the workplace
- Are not sure if their numeracy skills are sufficient to complete TAE70111 Vocational Graduate Certificate in Adult Language, Literacy and Numeracy Practice
This resource can be used in a variety of ways. It can be used in its entirety to gain an overview of numeracy skills in the workplace. Alternatively, it can be used as a reference to provide specific support when needed. The resource can also be used as a workbook for an individual or for a group of individuals to assist with self assessment against the units.